If you are looking for your next location for a great fishing vacation, you might want to consider Cabo San Lucas. Not only is the weather there practically perfect but it also is where the Bisbee’s Black and Blue Marling Fishing Tournament is held every year. This is the richest fishing contest on the planet and has a jackpot of over $3 million. This big tournament is held each October but the area boasts other fishing contests at various points throughout the year. When thinking about vacation rentals for fishing trips, Cabo San Lucas should top your list.
- Learn from the locals. The fishing in Baja California may be a lot different from the fishing you are used to in the United States. People who go into it without any desire to learn the nuances of fishing in this part of the world do not have as much fun doing it as people who take some time to get to know the ins and outs of fishing at Cabo San Lucas. Fishing tactics that cover a wider area of water work best on the fish whose feeding behaviors change all the time and for fish who are constantly on the move. A lot of time spent out on the water will be spent looking for the fish. Aside from the awesome vacation rentals, finding a good local fishing charter to take you out is one of the best things you can do to make your trip great.
- Get the most from your catch. So, you have gone out on the boat and caught yourself some fish, what do you do with them? Many local fishing charters can help you get your fish ready to take home. They will take care of the cleaning, filleting, smoking (if you want that), packing, and freezing all the fish you have caught. Or, if you want to enjoy your catch while it is still fresh, you can take it to one of the local restaurants where they will prepare and serve it any way you would like. It can be a hassle to get your fish back through customs so having it prepared in Cabo San Lucas may be your best bet. The average price you will pay for this (and your fish will be served with your choice of sides) is about $7 per person.
- Decide if you want your own tackle. Most of the fishing charters will allow you to bring your own tackle if you really want to but you can save yourself the hassle by going with their equipment. No fishing charter in Cabo San Lucas worth its salt is going to not have great gear for its clients so talk to them before you get down to the area and decide what makes the most sense for your trip.
- If you catch Billfish, you have to throw it back. Billfish are protected and most fishing charters will make you release any that you catch by accident while fishing for other species. The Billfish Foundation (TBF) and the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) request that any Billfish that are caught be tagged and released back into the wild.
- Bring and use sunscreen. This is one of the sunniest places to vacation. The area sees between 350 and 360 days a year of sunshine. The summer is considered to be the rainy season (July through August) but even then the area only gets between seven and ten inches of rain every year. Do not waste time at great vacation rentals by getting a bad sunburn.
Many Americans have a hard time tearing themselves away from work for vacations. Cabo San Lucas with its vacation rentals, all inclusive resorts and villas for rent can be the perfect antidote to our compulsion to work too much. Whether you plan your own fishing vacation or take part in one of the Cabo vacation packages, you should be able to have an excellent time in Baja California. By some estimates, nearly 70% of all American workers do not take all of their vacation time. A week in Cabo may make that a thing of the past for you and your family.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.